Learn How to Lubricate a Garage Door in 7 Easy Steps
Are you annoyed by the shouting and pounding of your garage door when you get home from a long day at work? You’re not alone if you said yes. Noisy garage doors are inconvenient for everyone.
You don’t have to put up with that annoying noise anymore. Augusta’s Premier Garage Door Company going to show you how to lubricate your garage door in a few simple steps. So, let’s see what we can find out!
Why is your garage door noisy?
Because of poor garage door maintenance, garage doors can become loud and squeaky. A noisy garage door indicates that it isn’t properly oiled. And if your garage door isn’t oiled, it might cause serious damage in the future. With appropriate maintenance and lubrication, you can avoid noise and extend the life of your garage door.
You can also reach out to our team right now for a quick, cost-effective, and dependable solution to your garage door issues. Let’s get started on the pre-lubrication maintenance checklist for the garage door.
Checklist for Pre-Lubrication Maintenance
Let’s finish up the necessary maintenance work before we start lubricating your garage door. The following is a list of things you must do:
- Unplug your door: you should close your garage door and cut off your door with an electricity supply.
- Tighten parts of your door: make sure you snug the nuts and bolts. But don’t over-tighten them. Try replacing worn parts if necessary.
- Check the garage door rollers: most rollers contain unsealed bearings that pile up dirt and break down with time. Thus, they result in creating noise.
- Inspect the hinges: hinges can worn out over time that can create noise, and cause friction in the door.
- Tighten your garage door opener chain: a loose chain can make banging sounds and potentially cause jerks while opening and closing the door.
Let’s get garage door lubrication started after you’ve completed these crucial pre-lubrication inspections!
How to Lubricate a Garage Door: A Step-by-Step Guide
The most important thing to remember while lubricating your garage door is to be thorough. Furthermore, all of the moving parts (save the garage door chain!) should be obtained. To lubricate a garage door, follow the easy steps outlined below.
- Close the door and turn off the power.
- Wipe the tracks with a rag to remove dirt. Ensure not to use any lubricant on the tracks as it can make it harder for the rollers to move. Thus, burdening your garage door opener.
- Lubricate each hinge of your door thoroughly.
- Lubricate garage door rollers. Apply an adequate amount of lubricant (grease) to the rollers, including ball bearings. You can wipe away any excess lubricant to avoid unbalancing your garage door. Conversely, in case you have plastic or nylon rollers, you should replace them instead of lubricating them.
- Lubricate the bearing plates and torsional springs. Make sure to open and close your door a few times to evenly distribute the lubricant.
- If you have a lock, lubricate it along with the armbar to make it easier for you to manually lock the door. You can also lubricate the keyhole.
- Apply grease on the top of the rail (where the chain rides in). Spread the grease around with a rag. Make sure not to lubricate your garage door chain since it already has a coating.
Note: If you’re looking for the best garage door lubrication, we recommend lithium or silicon-based grease spray. This will lubricate your garage door effectively. You can see which one best fits your needs.
On the other hand, we do not recommend using oil or WD-40 to lubricate garage doors. Because it is not a lubricant, oil can readily collect dust, and WD-40 can potentially damage specific elements of your door!
How Often Should You Lubricate a Garage Door?
Every six months, you should lubricate all of the working parts of your garage door. This will increase the life of your door while also keeping it quiet and smooth. You should lubricate your garage door every three months or more if you live in a harsh climate or near the seashore.
You can contact us at any moment if you believe your garage door requires repair or maintenance. Call immediately for same-day service from Augusta’s Premier Garage Door Company a top-rated garage door company at (706) 651–9090.