Garage Door Rollers: Duration of Rollers
The answer is determined by the type of garage door rollers you have installed. Rollers can last anywhere from a decade to two decades if they are properly maintained. Other elements that affect roller longevity include the atmosphere and how frequently the garage door is used.
To learn more about the subject, read the entire article from a garage door repair Florida Garage Door Guru.
Garage Door Rollers: Plastic vs. Nylon vs. Steel being grinded
Garage door rollers are usually made from plastic, nylon, and steel.
- Steel is the most durable material for rollers, but it’s the most expensive as well as the noisiest of the three.
- Nylon is much quieter and less expensive, but it’s also less durable.
- Plastic is the least costly and least sturdy of the three. Plastic rollers do not have ball bearings, which means they can be noisy, and they generally require replacement after just a few years.
Are Garage Door Rollers Replaceable?
Your garage door rollers will eventually stop working properly. The following are some of the factors that lead them to wear out:
- Weather: Metal parts rust when they’re exposed to lots of rain. Stainless steel holds up much better, resisting rust and working exceptionally well for car washes as a result.
- Usage: If you use your garage door multiple times every day, you may cut down on the rollers’ long-term life. These rollers work for so many cycles, and once you hit that number, you’ll need to replace them whether it’s been two years or 12.
- Track maintenance: With any machinery, the better maintained it is, the more efficiently it will function. Getting regular inspections of your rollers each year will ensure that they are working properly, catching small problems before they grow into big ones.
- Track cleaning: Removing small debris from the tracks will improve the ability of the rollers to move while reducing noise. You can add a lubricant to the tracks if the sound is especially loud. Try specialty garage door formulas that you can get from your local garage door repair shop.
How Often Should You Replace Garage Door Rollers?
When your rollers stop working properly, you should replace them. That might be anywhere from 10 to 20 years, depending on the material, however plastic rollers will need to be changed much sooner.
Disconnect the door from the automatic opener to see if new rollers are required. Pull the cable manually to open and close the garage door so you can observe how much pull there is and whether it feels excessive. If this is the case, the rollers may need to be replaced.
If you determine that new rollers are required, you should hire a professional to finish the installation. Someone who is unfamiliar with garage door rollers may install them incorrectly, putting your family in danger.
Rollers that don’t match the proper installation standards might soon break or wear out, causing the door to become imbalanced and potentially injuring someone.
Do you require assistance in replacing the rollers on your garage door?
Contact Florida Garage Door Guru, a top-rated garage door company to discuss our parts and repair services. You can request service online or give us a call at (321) 634–4778.